Saturday 7 December 2013

Elf Power - 'The Winter Hawk' (Kindercore)

I remember Elf Power. I remember seeing them, even them staying at my house, liking them, both this 7" and their first full-length.... but I don't remember anything about what they sounded like. This isn't to say they were forgettable, but I guess I forgot them. (I do remember them covering Eno's 'Needles in the Camel's Eye' live, and it was pretty good). This is their debut 7"; they were led by a really lovely guy named Bryan Helium, and were affiliated with the Elephant 6 label, though perhaps in a second-tier setting. This is a nice record; post-R.E.M. jangle (they were from Athens, after all), some violin playing, and a warbly clarinet opens things up with 'Grand Intrusion Call'; 'Heroes and Insects' goes for a dirgy, almost doom-like instrumental approach before some trebly strumming lightens it up. This seems a million miles away from the catchy Beatlesisms of the Olivias, until the B-side comes with the title track. This is more like it, "it" being that lackadaisical indie-pop sound that I still associate with the Kindercore label. Vocal harmonies and some recorder (or melodica, or something) makes this easy and light, but still not particularly 'catchy'. It's a pretty mixed bag, this 7", and stronger than I remember it - let's face it, I don't remember anything - and maybe its diversity is the explanation. The closing cut, the impeccably titled 'Exalted Exit Wound', takes things out on a fuzz+acoustic combo, instrumental again, and reminding me a bit of 'Here Come the Warm Jets' (the song), again an Eno connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment