Thursday 21 October 2010

Cannanes - 'Prototype' (Little Teddy)

This is the Cannanes 7" I pull out most frequently. 'Prototype' is the A-side, a rolling jam that mixes in some feeble horns, semi-heavy electric guitars, and is led by the confident croon of the male singer (I forget his name and no one is credited by name here). It's bouncy and catchy and falls only a few hairs short of 'classic' status - a true anthem of just being. The band still has a strong 80s Brit influence, and if you don't hear it, just close your eyes and imagine 'Prototype' being performed by the Housemartins. Far more amateur, though, without being inept - this is why I like this band. 'Bad Timing' is a Frances-sung tune that bends around a strong electric bassline with glass shard guitars commenting throughout. It's another beaut, simplistic, yeah, but open and honest. 'Der Fuhrender Sydney Rechtsanwalt' is the real departure - another horn driven song, but this time, a murky, melting lounge number. It reeks of 60's Euro-pop, but with the horns all bending out of shape, resulting in a strange trip that's nonetheless adorable. Little Teddy Records, judging from the typewriter-set catalogue inside the sleeve, was a real force in 1993. Remember the Bartlebees? The label still exists, which means they've been releasing music for almost 20 years, some of it surely pretty damn good. Keep on keepin' on -- as to the Cannanes, I guess they're still at it. I saw 'em twice - once when I was about 15 and once again a few years later where I'm pretty sure they stayed at my house. But I don't even remember really.

No comments:

Post a Comment